The story

There are two kinds of labor in this world for me. There’s Caleb labor, which while a horrible horrible amount of pain, I managed it. Then there is Hudson labor aka back labor and OH! MY! GOSH! That is a whole new different kind of pain!

So here’s the story….

About Tuesday or Wednesday last week I noticed that he dropped. Friday and Saturday I didn’t feel all that well…just sort of a stomach ache and just not feeling good. I woke up Saturday about 12:30 pm, got some last minute things done for Caleb and took him to the airport to fly to his Grandparent’s for a week.

That night I went to work as usual but drove myself (I decided like two days before that since it was getting closer to start driving myself just incase---talk about instincts huh?). I still felt like crap but I’m pretty good at just sucking it up. On the way to work I noticed some contractions. They didn’t hurt, just really intense tightening all over my stomach. I had been having them off and on and figured they go away as usual. I got to work and did my 10 pm count and they were still coming. So I sat down at my desk and watched the clock, they were coming every 3-5 minutes….still no pain, just these contractions (which is what I had with Caleb too). I did my 12 am count and they were still coming. I sat back down at my desk afterwards debating on whether or not to go home. They regulated to every four minutes and finally I decided to go home at 1:00 am. ---------causing some co-workers to freak out, ha ha!-----------On the way home I talked to my mom and they came every 4 minutes on the dot and my lower back started to ache with each one. My mom suggested I either go get checked or call Labor and Delivery.

I got home and called Labor and Delivery who had my call my doctor. The on call nurse told me to go in and get checked which I agreed since with Caleb I had these same contractions and they didn’t hurt until 7 cm so no telling what would happen. I drove in to the hospital and got checked in. I was 3 cm dilated and about 50% effaced. I was SHOCKED, I thought it was all in my head and they’d send me home. She called my doc and he had me walk around for two hours to see if I changed. The contractions at this point were coming every 3 minutes. After two hours and absolutely exhausted I laid down at 6 am to wait for my doc and my contractions slowed down to every 5 minutes. My doc came in and checked me and I was a 4 and 80% effaced. He said I was being admitted and suggested breaking my water to move it along. I agreed.

I left triage, was admitted in my room about 8:30 am and my doc broke my water. The first contraction I felt some achiness. The second a little worse. My like #7 or 8, HOLY CRAP! They didn’t hurt in my stomach at all but I swear to you my spine was being pulled apart. I always heard back labor was horrible but couldn’t imagine especially since I felt Caleb’s contractions all over my stomach and back. They were coming about every 4 minutes. The on call doc came in at about 9:30 to check me before going to the other hospital to deliver a baby. He said I was still a 4…mentioned pitocin (a drug to make your contractions stronger)….I asked to wait to receive it….he agreed since he was leaving and said he’d see me in a bit. By 10 am I tried to labor in an upright position to relieve some pressure on my back. It helped but not enough. It was unbearable. I threw all my plans out the door and requested an epidural. The nurse went to get the anesthesiologist and came back to inform me he just went in for a c-section and would be another 45 minutes—oh my gosh I was so sad. She said that I could have an iv drug if I wanted, I said yes. Now I didn’t want any drugs at all with labor but I didn’t think I could handle the pain. It was horrible…thank God I had about 1 minute of no pain between each contraction…especially when they had me lay back down so they could keep track of his heart beat. It was about 10:25 am at this point. She said she wanted to check me first before giving it to me and I was dilated to a 7-8 so she said NO I couldn’t have it. I thought I’d die. No epideral, no drugs, guess I had to follow my plan regardless. She said let me know if you feel like you have to push, otherwise she’d be back in a bit and left. Not 5 minutes later and like two or three contractions I felt his head start to push and he felt like he was coming out RIGHT THEN. They ran and grabbed her, she checked me, I was a full 10 and she sent for the other doctor. She told me not to push but I couldn’t help it. Actually I didn’t push, he did, he was coming and I couldn’t stop. They pulled the doc from the c-section he was doing, he came in, I pushed about two or three times and baby Hudson entered the world.

He was really purple and barely cried. They put him on my chest. They had to take him real quick though and give him some oxygen but I got him back pretty quickly. His whole body, especially his head was SO bruised. They said it was from him coming out so quickly. Despite being born so quickly. I got to nurse him and he latched on relatively easy.

They moved me upstairs to my recovery room and reunited with my clean sweet baby. We had a wonderful day with him. That night they did a blood sugar test and it was low. I breastfed him and when they tested him again it was too low. They had to give him some formula (which I hated but understood). They tested him again after that and it was still too low. He had to have formula every two hours and be tested every two hours. To test him they had to prick his foot each time, poor baby. They let me breastfeed him after he had the bottle but he was so full he wasn’t interested. I was so scared he would prefer the bottle. Finally once it started coming up, they let me breastfeed him first and do formula second. It took him a few tries before he re-figured out how to nurse. Finally he was able to keep it up for three tests in a row yeah!

Since he was doing good, they let us go home yesterday about 1 pm. He’s been only breastfed since then. His face is so much better, not nearly as bruised but his poor poor feet are.

He’s mellow and tiny and wonderful. Hardly cries at all. He is nursing about every two hours. He slept great last night, only wake up to eat and poop. We were up at about 4 this morning so I thought I’d type this since he just fell back asleep.

I’m so blessed. I cannot thank God enough for this healthy, precious baby boy. I’m the luckiest girl in the word. Caleb and Hudson are amazing and healthy and my heart feels so full. I cannot wait for Caleb to meet his baby brother on Sunday (remember, he’s in the bay area at his grandparents). He was happy when I told him he was a big brother.

Anyway, time to hold my tiny man.

Hudson Michael
6 lbs, 4.5 oz
19 inches long
10:42 am
Head 12 1/4



The Bohner Family said...

Congrats He is so cute

Unknown said...

Congratulations! We're so happy for you guys :)